As I mentioned yesterday, when I moved to RI in 2007, my wonderful knitting friends made me a quilt to remember them by. Fast forward several years, add in two naughty dogs, and the quilt got a hole in it. I sadly didnt take a picture, because I was just too mad. Basically, they ripped 3.5 squares, right in the center of the quilt, and really ruined the batting.
Earlier this week, I decided to work on some restoration. I took the whole backing off, and then broke it out into several pieces. Luckily, when gifted to me, the girls also gave me some extra squares and fabric. I think the idea was I could make throw pillows or something. But I didnt, I just threw them into my stash and let them sit. BOY AM I GLAD I DID. I had plenty of squares to choose from to replace the ripped ones, and still 4 leftover. So I decided not only to fix the hole, but to use the backing and extra squares to make a sashing for the quilt to be bigger. Now it will fit on my full sized guest bed, and when the girls come to visit (hint, hint) they can sleep under our hybrid creation.
Here is the revamped top with triple sashing:
Also, everyone signed the back, so before I cut it up for sashing, I salvaged all the signatures, and incorporated them into this fancy backing:
And off it goes tomorrow to the machine quilter, so that it will have a nice firm uniform quilting job to withstand the use of having it on a bed all the time. When it comes back later in May, I will bind it with the leftover flower material from the new backing.